Brain and Spine Surgeons of New York (BSSNY) provide surgical and rehabilitative treatment options for those suffering from brain and spine issues. Whether your loved one has been diagnosed with a brain or spine disease, they are facing an illness, or they were involved in an accident that left them injured, the BSSNY can help. You can learn more about their services here to determine if this is the right option for your loved one.
BSSNY is one of the leading brain and spinal care facilities in the state of New York. They have several convenient locations close to New York City, including their main location in White Plains and additional locations in Poughkeepsie, New York, Carmel, New York, and Stamford, Connecticut.
BSSNY was founded in 1958 and has since grown to include three board-certified spinal orthopedic surgeons and 11 neurosurgeons. They are founded on the principles of AXIS – access, excellence, integrity, and service. Their convenient locations, excellent medical professionals, and commitment to AXIS make them a good option for those who have been injured or who face an illness.
Many different brain and spinal cord conditions are treated through BSSNY. Brain issues treated include:
- Brain tumors
- Acoustic neuroma
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Head injuries
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Chiari malformations
- Tourette’s syndrome
- Trigeminal neuralgia
If your loved one faces one of these issues, BSSNY might be a good option for their treatment.
BSSNY also offers treatment for spine and spinal cord conditions. The conditions that they treat include:
- Failed back syndrome
- Cervical spinal cord compression
- Herniated discs
- Cauda equina syndrome
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal fractures
- Neuromuscular scoliosis
- Pediatric and adult scoliosis
- Failed spinal fusion
- Spinal tumors
- Spinal instability
- Scheuermann’s kyphosis
Advanced Treatment and Techniques
The surgical team at BSSNY likes to use non-surgical treatment options whenever possible. However, in some situations, surgery is the best option for a patient. Surgeons at BSSNY excel at minimally-invasive surgeries as well as other advanced treatment techniques. Some unique treatment options that they provide include:
- Gamma knife surgical treatment: this surgical option uses radiation to repair brain abnormalities and shrink tumors. It is a good alternative to open surgery for many people. This option offers a treatment opportunity with no incision, no anesthesia, and no hair loss. In addition, hospitalization and recovery time are short.
- Minimally invasive surgery (MIS)/endoscopic surgery: This is a less invasive alternative to open surgery. An endoscope is entered through a small incision or an existing opening instead of having a surgeon create a large incision that can cause trauma to surrounding tissue.
- Deep brain stimulation: This is a form of surgery used to treat issues such as epilepsy and Parkinson’s disease. An electrical stimulation device is surgically implanted into the brain in order to redirect neurotransmitters.
- Stereotactic image-guided surgery: Image-guided surgery gives surgeons an in depth, three dimensional view of a person’s spine or brain in real time. This technology helps surgeons locate abnormalities and access them with limited trauma to the surrounding area.
- Sodium fluorescein: This is a yellow dye inserted into the brain to help surgeons locate tumors. This gives the surgeon a precise view of the issue and helps them perform surgery with minimal trauma to other areas of the brain.
Doctors and Surgeons
If you are considering this facility, you should learn more about their staff. Here is a list of their medical professionals, which you can research in more depth.
- John M. Abrahams MD
- William Wirchansky MD
- Avinash Mohan MD
- Michael E Tobias MD
- Kaushik Das MD
- Craig M Shannon MD
- Alain de Lotbinière MD, CM, FACS, FRCSC
- Virany Huynh Hillard MD
- R. Michael Koch, MD, FACS
- Ezriel E. Kornel MD, FACS, FAANS
- Seth Neubardt MD, FACS
- Krishn M Sharma MD
- Kent R. Duffy MD
- Rudolph F. Taddonio MD
- Jack Stern MD, PhD
Choosing a Facility
As you can see, BSSNY offers good surgical and non-surgical treatment options for those facing brain or spinal cord issues. If you would like to learn more about this facility, you can contact them directly. If you have additional questions, please contact my office. I am happy to help.